Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Pool Deck and Driveway Issues

Construction on the pool has begun! The deck wraps around the back half of the pool and is going to be 8 ft wide. It looks much bigger, wider, and is pricier than I expected but is exactly what I wanted so...I'm happy! All the space under the deck will be mulched and used for storage of pool equipment. I've hired my friend Terry to build it since I've seen his work and he's such an anal perfectionist. (exactly the type for a job such as this!) It took him and Carlo about 6 working hours to get it framed up and during this time he asked me why I couldn't just have a square pool because he would have been about half way done by now!? Look, he knew what he was getting into! He drew up the plans for cripes sake! I told him just to be quiet and get on with it. LOL. Yup, that's how we roll! Anyway, things are looking great, in a birth-is-messy sort of way.

I seem to be losing my yard, but hey, less to mow right? That pile of stuff in the bottom right is a pile of mulch. We need more....lots more.

I'm in no real rush to get the deck finished because, well, there's still about a 6 inch layer of ice floating around on top of the water and I/we don't plan to become part of any polar bear club any time soon!
So while construction continues in the backyard, major construction needs to happen on my driveway! OMG it's never been this bad!
Piles and ruts of icky, sticky, red Carolina mud!
I don't know who, or how, or how much it will cost (basically the details), but I know it has to be fixed! Ok, here's the problem:
the construction/dug up yard + the mud in my driveway
+ two smallish dogs who like to frolic = serious (red) dirt/mud in my house! ugh!

Just picture eight of these (but much dirtier) jumping onto the couch, bed, anywhere they please....

But my dogs know the drill. I stop them at the door and say, "hold up!" or "hold the phone!" or "back the truck up!". They know my tone and Max just stops and Tater...well, she's working on it. So, if they're outside and I'm not ready for them yet I shut the door in their face and they will give me the what-do-you-mean-I-can't-come-in-right-now? look. They completely understand when I come back to the door with my sleeves pushed up or, worse yet, a towel! ooooo... Yup, they know that if either of those things happen it's feet cleaning time! If the feet situation requires, I snatch them up and plop their little rumps on the side of the sink and they get a feet bath! Max will sit very quietly. I like to think that he is thinking, "I love you, thank you so much for caring for me." but what he is probably thinking is, "Oh man, this is so degrading!"

I sure can't wait until things dry up!

1 comments:

MarshaR said...

ah, your blog is SO much fun to read!!! You turn two ordinary things into such a story that just makes me smile! Thanks for the update! Must be nice to be able to have a deck built in Jan! We can't even walk through our yard because the snow is still so high and crispy. LOL!